Tuesday, December 1, 2009

SYTYCD Season 6 Episode 6


One of the things I love about the show is that the judges have control of a portion of the elimination. It is when the control is taken away from them there is some frustration because popularity becomes the decision maker. The show is based on America's favorite as opposed to America's best, so I understand the basis of the competition. It can just be frustrating to see real talent dismissed because they aren't the popular personality.

This week not only introduces the popular vote, but also the breaking up of the dancing couples. This throws in a much bigger dynamic and challenge. This is when the best shine. So, let's see how they do ...

REMINDER: This is just my personal, non-professional opinion made BEFORE the judges give their comments. Because Princess D doesn't go to bed until 9pm I often have to watch this show on DVR so I am behind all of you SYTYCD junkies, but and I don't alter what I write based on the judges comments.

Noelle & Ryan (Hip Hop) I liked this pairing! They had chemistry together. If you read my weekly posts you know how much I like NAPPYTAB choreography. I particularly like the one's that tell a story like this. The dancing is more musical as opposed to hard hitting. I loved the story line of this piece too. It was entertaining!

Ashleigh & Legacy (Contemporary) This was an unbelievably athletic routine. The tumbling and jumping and rolling. I don't know if it was the camera angles, but some of these moves just didn't seem to fly ... I wasn't wowed when I thought I should be. They must have been bruised up after rehearsals. The one thing I couldn't get was character and unlike most contemporary routines I have seen there was no real story, so it was hard for me to connect. I commend these dancers for their hard work, but this just wasn't a routine I could get into.

Mollee (Jazz) This girl knows how to rock her solos ... her energy and athleticism are impressive! She will go far in life for sure.

Russell (Krump) This style is fascinating to me and I honestly could have watched so much more. What I love about this guy is that he gives the style more flair than anger.

Kathryn & Nathan (Broadway) What can I say other than PERFECT! They danced so well. They looks incredible. They had good chemistry. It was a really nice routine. It was perfect!

Noelle (Contemporary) She is such the all American girl. There were some stellar parts of her solo, but parts also felt intermediate level for me. I think this solo could put her in danger even though her first routine was so strong.

Ellenore & Jakob (Quick Step) I must admit that this this was the best I have seen on this show, but I really don't GET this style. Honestly, I wish they would just eliminate it. These two made this style watchable.

Ryan (Latin Ballroom) He is so masculine, but so smooth and light on his feet. I really love how much he has grown on this show.

Kathryn (Contemporary) This girl just surprised me. I was so focused on her squeaky crying at the beginning of the season that I really did underestimate her dancing. She really is excellent!

Mollee & Russell (Lyrical Jazz) Its the small details that made this routine for me ... the little synchronized hop, how straight and still her body was in that lift when they the paused moving, the tangling of their arms, the look in their eyes. I got the sense of their anguish. I felt the chemistry. I thought that was spectacular!

Nathan (Contemporary) Like Mollee, his solo work is spectacular. I think with maturity his partnering will come together. Considering his age and level of dancing ... the kid will be great one day!

Noelle & Ryan (Smooth Waltz) It was smooth! What was interesting for me is that typically in these types of performances the girl stands out, but in this particular one I was very focused on him. He is so dominant on stage that it was hard for me to take my eyes off of him.

Ellenore (Contemporary) I like that they turned down some of the quirky to show off that she can dance a solo because she really is a spectacular dancer.

Ashleigh & Legacy (Hip Hop) You would think she was trained in this style! Another surprise dancer ... I was so focused on he distracting day glow pink lipstick that I couldn't see her dancing. But this girl can dance! He was great ... enticing for sure! The cape took away from seeing the hard hitting, but he is so good at getting into character and using his prop.

Kathryn & Nathan (Rumba) What was with the song and this style ... it did not work for me at all. I thought it was danced well, but I didn't like it. It felt too dated for how young these dancers really are.

Legacy (B-Boy) What I loved about his solo is that there seemed to be so much more emotion and musicality instead of just tricks. I love how much he has grown and become a dancer through this experience. He deserves to go far!

Ellenore & Jakob (Contemporary) Spectacular! I don't know what to say ... that was spectacular! The movement, the attitude, the choreography ... spectacular! Everything about that performance was SPECTACULAR!

Ashleigh (Latin Ballroom) She is a hot little thing! The shaking and the legs, but I actually have enjoyed seeing her do other styles more.

Mollee & Russell (Jive) I thought this was a great routine for them. He got his groove on and she was all energy! It was so perfect for them with excellent chemistry. I loved seeing them perform that. It was fun and I totally enjoyed it!

Jakob (Contemporary) Wow ... he has incredible pointed feet and his leg extensions are breathtaking. He is a technically superb dancer.