Monday, February 22, 2010

Writing Challenge #11: The Moral Point of View


It has been 11 days since I have written and published a post. I think this is the longest stretch I have ever gone with out having something on here. I am a bit afraid to see what my traffic is like! I have plenty to say and have been taking photos like mad, but daily life got the best of me and I didn't even think about how quickly the days were passing by.

Benjamin Franklin once said "Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing." Blogging is a strange hobby. Those of you reading this post who blog are probably nodding your head in agreement. We put our words, feelings and life experiences on the internet for complete strangers to find. We leave ourselves open for criticism, for stalkers, for embarrassment, for new friendships. Ad networks make us slaves to traffic and victims to popularity contests. I have experienced more guilt about not posting than about that chocolate cupcake consumed before bedtime.

I am not a professional writer (unless you consider specs and change orders creative writing). I started blogging to update family and friends around the world about Princess D when she was born. I created a list of resolutions and posted them hoping that making them public would make me remember them and hold me more accountable. Then I discovered that I might be interesting and profound enough that people might want to read me and I could make some pocket money. I am not sponsored. I very rarely get freebies for review. I write when I am inspired, not because I have to. (Don't get me wrong ... I am not above having someone pay me or give me swag to blog!) There is only a few times in my 5 blogging years has a post of mine proven to be "controversial". It was when my marriage hit the rocks and blogging became my outlet for self discovery. I was accused of openly attacking my X or that I don't support open debate on my posts. If either one of those accusations were true I wouldn't be blogging.

If a blogger is so daring to voice his/her political opinion, religious beliefs, parenting advice, point of view on the mommy war, or self discovery findings should he/she be forced to lock down their Twitter profile, granularly privatize their Facebook page or start monitoring their comments? Franklin also said "Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do." I may have done some foolish things in my life, but I strive not to be a fool. I believe in writing and commenting from the heart, not pointing fingers, or calling those who don't believe in my beliefs "idiots". I don't use my blog, comments or tweets to push someone down the same spiritual path I am on, but I will share why I am on my path. I won't write about politics, but I can't talk about it in depth enough. I am happy to share what has worked for me and what has not. Blogging has helped me grow as a person and a "writer". I could only hope that someone finds me poignant, thought provoking, worth reading and inviting enough that they would want to share their thoughts with me too.

********************

This post is an exercise for {W}rite Of Passage. This is group of writers seeking a challenge, getting critique, and finding community. Feel free to join us!.