Thursday, June 24, 2010

SYTYCD Season 7 - Top 10


Since So You Think You Can Dance changed things this up this season I though so would I. Previously I would comment on every performance before I heard the judges feedback. This season I am going to talk about what I liked and didn't like, and what performance I loved.

REMINDER: This is just my personal, non-professional opinion.

The salsa dancer, Christina, is still my favorite girl this season. She was partnered up with Pasha this week to do the Paso Doble. When Pasha is on stage it is really hard to watch anyone else, but I couldn't take my eyes off of Christina. She put on an amazing performance! I loved when she wrapped her legs around him and spun around him into that layout. Her attitude was perfectly held throughout the performance. And, the side by side foot and hip twist was perfectly synchronized.

Unlike to last week Alex did not take my breath away. Of course he was technically amazing, but compared to his partner Lauren ... there was something missing. Lauren was slinky and so light on her feet. She was oozing attitude and glowing. But, Alex wasn't any of these things for me. I think he learned a lot and you can tell he needs to study more styles.

What I absolutely love about this show is seeing people who are trained in one style of dance and are completely taken out of their element and are forced to dance a totally different style. Great examples of this was tonight's performance of Billy Bell doing Krump and Jose doing Bollywood. These styles are so far from theses dancers' styles and personalities, but man they worked it. Neither of them were perfection, but what amazing efforts they put into these performances and they were really fun watch! After this weeks performance Jose might become my favorite guy over Kent.

The reason why I think this competition show is so different from all of the others is how these dancers really learn week after week to improve their craft. The feedback given by the judges are really taken to heart by these dancers. You could really see that tonight in the much improved performances by Melinda and Lauren. Neither of these girls I can say are my favorites yet, but they are improving and learning for sure.

My prediction for the bottom 3 this week are ... Ashley, Melinda and AdéChiké.

My favorite performance this week is ... Jose & Kathryn doing Bollywood.