Friday, September 17, 2010

Happy Thirty-ish Birthday, to Me!


For the first time (in a long time) I didn't get into a birthday funk the week before my birthday. For the first time (in a long time) I am actually happy about my birthday. For the first time (in a long time) I want to tell people "Today is my birthday!"

Usually I dread my birthday because the year I was leaving behind did not end up being what I had hoped it would be, and the year I was heading into would already be filled with doubt. I would hope for a birthday that was filled with carefully planned surprises like waking up to breakfast in bed, or a vase full of sterling roses, or pampering at the spa, or a homemade candle light dinner and (of course) the perfect chocolate cake. But, the past few years my birthdays were not like that and I was always disappointed. I hated seeing my age increasing while my stability and security decreased.

Then I was reminded that my birthday is not about my age. My birthday is not about what I didn't or didn't accomplish over the year. How I celebrate my birthday should not depend on someone else to make it happy. It's about celebrating my life!

This past year has been filled with some extreme experiences. My divorce was finalized. I traveled with Princess D for the first time to England on my own. I learned what it means to communicate without fear. I worked harder than ever and discovered what I am worth. I know who I can depend on if I need help and support.

My life has become stable and secure over this past year. I am looking forward to the year ahead of me. It will be the year I get my groove back!

Today is my birthday! (But, I am still not going to tell you how old I really am ...)

Happy Thirty-ish Birthday, to me!