Monday, March 14, 2011

San Diego MOMfia Blow Dry Boot Camp at Detour Salon


Last week I went to the San Diego MOMfia Blow Dry Boot Camp at Detour Salon, an event I had really been looking forward to! My mother is a retired hair stylist/salon owner, so I don't know all of the new tricks and products being used in the industry. In fact, I have gotten quite lazy with my hair since I have been a mom. I get a hair cut and peek-a-boo highlights every 6 months. If I style my hair it is usually just blow dried straight. Sadly, 75% of the time my hair is in a ponytail or bun. It was time to get out of my hair funk!

Detour Salon & Store is a stylish and whimsical salon located at the corner of South Coast Hwy 101 and E Street in Encinitas. My stylist, Kristen, first gave me a luxurious hair wash then showed me how to blow dry my hair in a different way to help create bigger, softer waves. Then she walked me through how to use either a barrel curling iron or a flat iron to create that that "off the beach messy curls" look which I have always wanted to learn how to do. And I have to say, it was so much easier to do than I thought and with the right products and tools I could have my blow dry and style last a couple of days.

I am a suburban mom that leans a little more towards the basic, but I have always loved having my hair be a little edgy, so when I saw the feather extensions I couldn't help myself. I had to have one. It is a rooster feather that can be washed and styled like your regular hair. I tried on different colors and pattern combinations and in the end went with an extension that had 3 features -- a gorgeous teal, solid white and black/white striped. It is buried enough in my hair that I can hide it if needed or show it off.

Went with a teal and white feather! #SDMOMfia #detour


The evening was so much fun -- playing with hair, drinking champagne, eating delicious food and hanging out with a bunch of wonderful women. Of course all good things have to come to an end. Two days later it was time to wash my hair and attempt to recreate my "off the beach messy curls". I didn't have all of the Bumble and bumble products or a 1.5" barrel roller, but I did have my products and a 1.5" flat iron. Here is how my hair turned out ...

Was able to recreate the loose beach style waves with my flat iron! @SDMOMfia #detour


Pretty good, right! I feel like a whole new Mama!

If you live in San Diego and want to check out Detour Salon the San Diego MOMfia has a great offer until the end of this month! Also, they will be hosting another fabulous event at Spa La Costa next month, so make sure you "like" their Facebook page to find out how you can attend.