Tuesday, January 22, 2008

r.i.p. heath

I had a post all planned out for today, but then I got the CNN Breaking News email that read:

Actor Heath Ledger has been found dead in a Manhattan apartment, New York police tell CNN.

Heath Ledger is not necessarily one of my all time favorite actors, but I have really enjoyed his work. A movie I could watch over and over again is 10 Things I Hate About You (partially because it is a modernization of Shakespare's play The Taming of the Shrew -- I have a B.A. in English). One of Hub's favorite movies is Lords of Dogtown.

Now, I am not one who cries if a celebrity dies, but there is something about this that broke my heart. It was the thought that his 2-year-old daughter will grow up never really knowing her father other than what people tell her about him and what she sees in the movies. It made me think about Little 'Ny and what I would do if we ever lost Hubs.

Heath's life -- at its prime -- has been cut so short. He will not get to see the amazing woman his daughter will become. He will never see his grand children. My grandfather is 96 years old and is slowly dying, but he has seen his 4 kids grow up and have kids, and their kids have kids. He survived my grandmother who passed away last year. I have never been very close to my grandfather (for reasons I am not going to dive into right now), but the death of Heath (as silly as it might seem) and my grandfather dying has made me realize even more that every moment you have with your children should be cherished ... you never know who long you will have with them.

1 comment:

  1. Seems like a lot of people were affected by this, maybe because he wasn't the typical Hollywood train wreck.

    ReplyDelete