Friday, July 11, 2008

san diego history 101

I joined my mom and her friends today on a walking tour of Balboa Park. It is my favorite location in San Diego, but I have never taken the time to really learn about it. If you have never been to San Diego I recommend you make sure this place is on your agenda. There is something for everyone of every age -- the world famous San Diego Zoo, museums, beautiful gardens, hiking trails and picnic spots, The Old Globe, the International Cottages and great restaurants.

cork tree


The tour was led by a man who used to work for the San Diego Zoo. Here is a little bit of trivia:

- Balboa Park is 1,200 acres (Central Park in New York is only 843 acres)
- President Theodore Roosevelt was the first person to ride across the Laurel Street Bridge
- It served as the location for the 1915-16 Panama-California Exposition

balboa park


the botanical building


I love these kinds of tours. There was so much to learn. It was a perfect day for a walk (weather was cool and overcast) and a great way to spend some time with my mom. Many of the photos I took are currently private (because I haven't had a chance to watermark all of the photos), so email me if you want to see the entire photo gallery.


5 comments:

  1. I would love to see all the pics! It might motivate me to get down to SD and visit that place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousJuly 12, 2008

    OMG - you just reminded me how much I miss San Diego...

    lol - hey - drop by the new place when you get a chance? Would LOVE to see you over there :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnonymousJuly 13, 2008

    I love the building at the bottom. Is it a greenhouse?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, it is now used as a greenhouse. It originally was a train station.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW... that's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete