Saturday, November 1, 2008

NaBloPoMo 1: Halloween Hawaiian-style



It is that time of year again ... NaBloPoMo! I participated last year and made a lot of new friends and challenged my writing skills. Even though I am a couple of days late (thanks to limited internet access on my vacation) I am participating again this year. I have a lot to share and a ton of photos taken by my new Nikon D60 to show off. So, lets get started ...

I go with my family every year to Maui the same time of the year for a few reasons one of them being the Halloween in Lahina. The main street is closed off at 3pm for a parade for the keikis ("kids" in Hawaiian) to show off their costumes and do some trick-or-treating before the sun goes down and the adults come out to party mardi gras style decked out in R rated costumes and drinking mass amounts of mai tais.

Lahina Keiki Halloween Parade


Hundreds of people show up to watch the adorable kids, some incredible costumes and celebrate the holiday with aloha. This year Little 'Ny wanted to dress up as a princess and I simply walked with her.

the princess and the parade


She did an amazing job walking most of the parade route waving to the crowd like a trained beauty queen. The Lahina stores we handing out candy to the trick-or-treaters along the parade route. Halfway down the route her treat bag was so full she was dragging it.

future beauty queen


When the parade was finished we headed over to the Lahaina Cannery Mall. They had a keiki costume contest, a haunted house, picture taking and, of course, more trick-or-treating. After every stop Little 'Ny took inventory of every piece of candy she got making sure to keep the ones that are "yummy for her tummy" and giving me the undesirables.

taking inventory


Little 'Ny had a great time and didn't want the night to end! I don't blame her ... I wouldn't mind staying in Maui a bit longer myself.

2 comments:

  1. Ooooh I love her costume! And the pics came out delish!

    ReplyDelete