Sunday, August 23, 2009

Under pressure

I am entering my 4th week of training and fund raising for the American Heart Association 2009 Start! San Diego Heart Walk. I have started going on 3 mile walks about 4-5 days a week. I have been drinking protein smoothies every morning and eating much healthier (thanks to my mom who is a fabulous cook). I have met my fund raising goal of $500. And, I still have 3 more weeks to go!

First, I want to thank all of you that donated helping me to reach my goal. Your money is going to a very important cause.

Second, I know I have met my fund raising goal, but I would love to beat it (pun intended). So, please donate now if you haven't.

Finally, I want to tell you a little about me this week ...

I have always paid close attention to my blood pressure knowing that heart disease is a is a problem in my family. When I was pregnant with Princess D I craved everything that dietitians frown upon -- pasta, cheese, cookies, bread, french fries, ice cream. I craved junk food which showed when I visited my obstetrician for my 3 month check. My blood pressure was elevated higher than what it should be at. I had heard stories about women losing their babies due to Pregnancy Induced Hypertension (PIH) and it scared the daylights out of me.

After my check up I made a trip to the grocery store. I stocked up on fruits, veggies, whole grain products, soy milk and peanut butter. For the next 5 months I ate healthy snacks every hour. I even woke up at 3am every morning for a glass of soy milk and a banana. I even practiced prenatal yoga 3 days a week. Every check up I had after my 3 month check up my blood pressure was perfect and I was gaining the recommended amount of weight.

I went into labor with Princess D two weeks before her due date and for some reason my contractions started to slow down after my water broke. The prenatal nurse administered pitocin to get things moving along. By the time I hit 4cm I was in so much pain my blood pressure started to rise. The labor staff gave me an epidural and took blood to test for Labor Induced Hypertension. I didn't want to panic which would cause my blood pressure to rise more so I started my yoga breathing and soon the epidural kicked in.

In the end, Princess D was born healthy and my delivery was issue free. It is so important to eat healthy during your pregnancy especially if high blood pressure or heart disease runs in your family. Know your blood pressure ... ask about it at every check up and take the free exams at your local pharmacy. It might save the your life or your baby's life some day.