Tuesday, October 27, 2009

SYTYCD Season 6 Episode 1


Do you have any idea how excited I am that an extra season was added this year? No? Well, if I had the ability to scream like Mary Murphy does for the Hot Tamale Train I would be! I love this show with a passion. Dance has always been a big part of my life. If this is your first time reading my weekly SYTYCD reviews let me break it down for you ...

When I was 3 years old my parents put me in ballet, tap and jazz. I continued on with jazz until I turned 13. Then I took up cheer leading and hip hop. In high school I lead the dance team for 3 years and was co-captain of the cheer leading team one year. In college I took jazz and ballroom dancing classes. I never performed professionally and haven't trained since college. So, my review of the performances is purely amateur opinion, but it is viewers like me that make the end decision of America's favorite dancer.

So, here is goes ... the first episode of Season 6! The dancing looks even better than before. I already have my favorites and my disappointments! Before I start ...

REMINDER: This is just my personal, non-professional opinion made BEFORE the judges give their comments. Because Princess D doesn't go to bed until 9pm I often have to watch this show on DVR so I am behind all of you SYTYCD junkies, but and I don't alter what I write based on the judges comments.

Channing & Phillip (Jive) - Nice start to the season, but there seemed something off to me. She comes off a bit stiff and more masculine than he does. I thought he was phenomenal, but my eye continuously went to her. I thought the stunts were a bit clumsy and not smoothly executed. She didn't appear light or him strong enough to hold her. Now, I know we shouldn't really criticize the costumes since this is a dance competiion, but this is about the performance too. I really think their costumes didn't suit the song. Yes, there were feathers, but I think the colors should have been lighter and more fun instead black. Overall, it was good, but didn't blow me away.

Ashleigh & Jacob (Broadway) - Her legs and lines are spectacular. His split leaps took my breath away! It was sultry. It was sexy. It was so well danced. But, once again ... did the costume department go on strike? His shirt was horribly distracting compared to her gorgeous dress and his tuxedo sequined pin striped pants. What is going on? Outside of the costume I thought it was excellent.

Ariana & Peter (Hip Hop) - As always the choreography was so brilliant! And, the dancing was too! I would never have guess that he was a tap dancer by this. I though there were some moments he could have hit harder, but he sure fooled me. I thought she was excellent too! They had good chemistry and were in sync. Costumers got it right this time too. All of this tied together to make a great performance!

Noelle & Russel (Fox Trot) - Sans Noelle. How much do I adore this guy.? He has so much style and is so smooth. For a krumper ... I am impressed! He got into character and looked so good!

Bianca & Victor (Conteporary) - I have only one word that can describe this ... WOW! First of call Travis Wall is turning into a very gifted choreographer. Everything about what he created was perfect ... the lifts, the movement, the individual stunts ... WOW! Of course what makes this performance WOW is the dancers. They were perfection. He was so incredibly powerful and strong. She was graceful and rhythmic. Their chemistry was there. Costumes fit the story. Simply ... WOW!

Karen & Kevin (Cha Cha) - She is hawt and he was slinky ... but it did not feel fast like a regular cha cha. It didn't seem to match the music at times. I am not really sure about this one. I couldn't take my eyes off of her. For a hip hop dancer I am surprised. Didn't love it really, but I didn't hate it either.

Ryan & Ellenore (Contemporary Jazz) - PHENOMENAL. It was so well danced. There was chemistry. There was character. I was so surprised by him. I didn't see a ballroom dancer in him at all. She was light on her feet and gorgeous. I loved it!

Pauline & Brandon (Smooth Waltz) - I loved the pulling on her dress. I liked the chemistry. I overall enjoyed the performance. It didn't blow me away, but for what amount of time they had ... I am impressed! There were moments of gliding across the stage I felt was missing. It did feel like they are really new to this style, but still pretty well danced.

Kathryn & Legacy (Hip Hop) - I TOTALLY enjoyed this! Choreography and story line was so well done. Chemistry was there. He was BILLIANT. That pose on one hand with his body and legs out diagonally ... SICK! She surprised the hell out of me. I did not think she had it in her. In the words of Lil' C ... that was BUCK!

Mollee & Nathan (Disco) - As always with the disco routines on this show the lifts and tricks defied gravity. In the beginning she was looking good, but at times it seemed like she was really unsure about dancing in those ultra high heels. Her feet didn't seem smooth ... more like a shuffle. He partnered so well and great movement. They seemed to have good chemistry, but looked so young. It was a fun way to end the episode.

FAVORITE PERFORMANCE: The hip hop caveman dance with Kathryn and Legacy. I actually rewound my DVR to watch it over again ... TWICE! It was fun and so well danced. I could have watched a lot more.