Thursday, November 12, 2009

NaBloPoMo Day 12: Thankful for my health


I have been sick for a week now and I am miserable. Sinus congestion all day long. Violent coughing in the morning and evening. Soar throat and almost no voice. And, I am exhausted. Since I have asthma any little cold goes straight to my lungs. This time is no different. My doctor told me I just have a cold and prescribed me a strong cough syrup.

For years now I have maintained a good job which gives me excellent medical benefits including yearly flu shots. I see my doctor as soon as I start to feel like I can't control an illness. I take daily vitamins. I see a chiropractor and an acupuncturist to help reverse the damage my stress has on my body. I see a therapist to help me keep my head straight.

I work hard to maintain my job so that Princess D and I have medical insurance. Because my X hasn't maintained a job that offers medical benefits, and my divorce is still not final, I continue to provide for him too. If I didn't have this job the cost of medical insurance would be outrageous or impossible due to my asthma and for my X because of his back and hip surgeries.

Many people don't have the luxury of medical insurance because the can't (or don't want to) maintain jobs. The possibility of a national healthcare system has Americans really thinking ... and I am one of them. The concept is brilliant, but you hear about people who know how to take advantage of the system and the rest of the working tax payers suffer from it. So, what is fair? Until people become honest and less greedy there will never be a right or easy answer for all.

As for me, I will continue to work hard and take care of my health for my daughter.