Tuesday, November 17, 2009

NaBloPoMo Day 17: SYTYCD Season 6 Episode 4

If you have been reading my blog for a while you know that I am obsessed with So You Think You Can Dance. The past seasons I have developed favorite dancers early on and have been right about all of the winners. I am hoping that my favorites this year continue my streak!

I have officially decided my favorite guys ... Legacy and Russel. These two guys blow me away with their determination and openness to learn new dance styles. They push themselves to grow and learn while keeping respect to their original style. They are true artists.

My two favorite girls are Karen and Kathryn. I don't need to explain about Karen. The girl is HAWT! She can move like no body's business. I would like to see her perform more emotionally and toned down. I think that would be a real challenge for her. Kathryn took me by total surprise! I was not expecting her to perform like she has. The whole crying thing during the tryout really turned me off

Favorite pair is standing strong at Legacy and Kathryn! They just work together. They bring out the best in each other.

With that said let's see how my favorites did tonight!

REMINDER: This is just my personal, non-professional opinion made BEFORE the judges give their comments. Because Princess D doesn't go to bed until 9pm I often have to watch this show on DVR so I am behind all of you SYTYCD junkies, but and I don't alter what I write based on the judges comments.

Ashleigh & Jakob (Hip Hop) You know I <3 NAPPYTAB choreography. This performance was too familiar to the Chelsie H & Mark from Season 4 Episode 3 (told you I am obsessed). I thought these two did really well, but not nearly as good in comparison to Chelsie & Mark. I liked the emotion in the characters. I thought there was chemistry. I like the story line.

Kevin & Karen (Broadway) This is why I love this show. You have a Hip Hop dancer and a Salsa dancer attempting a style so far off from their own ... and doing it pretty darn well! It was not the best I have seen on this show. The story line the choreographer gave didn't seem to fit the music. Some of the moves were not as BIG as they should have been. But, these two certainly gave it their all.

Noelle & Russell (Foxtrot) I don't know a thing about this style, and it certainly is not my favorite. I am not sure if it was the choreography or the dancers, but parts just didn't flow with the music. They seemed so formal at times and then fun at others. It was a bit confusing to me. I think they danced it really well. They looked gorgeous and partnered perfectly. But, I was not entertained by the choreography mixed with the music.

Channing & Victor (Jazz) I loved this! It was quirky and musical. I think this style showed off their strengths brilliantly. They were synchronized. Their characters were believable. The connection between the two was so strong. The use of the prop was excellent. That was very entertaining!

Kathryn & Legacy (Paso Doble) Yowza ... that was smoldering! I love that this routine moved away from the traditional bull and matador theme. The story line was believable. The heat between them was there. I am not sure the movements were technically right, but I did love seeing the manliness from him (MM will probably complain about his shoulders being up at his ears) and I loved the flourish of her movements (a lot due to the dress). The choreography was fast paced with so much going on it was hard for me to even really see flaws to my untrained eye. I liked the lifts even though the last one seemed awkward. I remember when Heidi in season 2 performed this lift and it made my heart stop. Didn't get the same reaction with this one, but Heidi is also a trained Latin ballroom dancer. I was entertained by this performance and I say BRAVO! to their effort.

Ellenore & Ryan (Contemporary) Travis Wall really is an amazing choreographer! Every routine just takes my breath away. The physicality of this routine I think was perfect for Ryan because he can partner so well. He was constantly there for her and never once did one of those lifts look uncomfortable. The connection between them as a pair is so believable. She was stunning after seeing her quirky solo last week. She is a beautiful dancer. The characters and story line were believable. It was easy to connect to the dancers. This routine was moving!

Mollee & Nathan (Pop Jazz) I struggle with a couple of things about these two. 1) Their youth really shows through in almost everything they do so mature performances like this are not totally believable for me. 2) They are incredible solo performers, but together you can see how they have not mastered the art of pairing. I think their overall performance was better today simply because you can see how they are technically strong. The entertainment value was not there for me. I was not a fan of the choreography or costumes either. It all seemed mismatched to me. They probably won't get put in the bottom because of the popular vote, but I think compared to the other dancers on this show they should be. They have some maturing to do.