Saturday, November 28, 2009

NaBloPoMo Day 28: Trimming the tree


My mom had me trim the Christmas tree today. Princess D is with her dad and it was raining outside. I love Christmas decorating, so I was more than happy to take on the chore.

When I was married and since Princess D is still young my Christmas ornaments were store bought and without much meaning behind them. My decor taste changed every year so the things I would buy the year before I didn't like any more.

Decorating my parents' tree was like a walk down memory lane. I remember the beaded ornaments were hand made by a woman who got her hair done at my mom's beauty salon when I was just a kid. My mom had bought the hand blown glass ornaments her first year in America in 1961. Then there were the ornaments I had made in school ...

The reindeer made out of pom poms and felt when I was only 6 years old. He is so droopy and worn out that he looks a bit drunk now. He has to be my favorite out of all my handmade ornaments.

pom pom reindeer (made 1981)


The angel made of dough I painted and sprinkled with glitter when I was 7 years old. The belly baked up so funny compared to the rest of it.

dough angel (made 1982)


The clothes pin reindeer I made when I was 8. They are probably in the best condition out of all of the ornaments I made. I think this is a standard school craft all kids make.

clothes pin reindeer (made in 1984)


The plaster bear riding on the goose I made when I painted and baked when I was 9 years old. Sometime last year the goose lost his head and we can't find it!

plaster bear & goose (1985)


I can't wait to someday hang Princess D made ornaments. And, this year I am starting a new tradition of taking her to Disneyland before Christmas to see the snow on Main Street and let her pick out a Christmas ornament. It is time to make our own traditions so that someday she can look back too.