Tuesday, November 3, 2009

NaBloPoMo Day 3: SYTYCD Season 6 Episode 2


I don't watch Dancing with the Stars for a few reasons: 1) when someone is dancing badly on that show it is BAD, 2) the only challenge is ballroom dancing, and 3) celebrities are kept on not because they are really good, but for kicks (remember Cloris Leachman). I do think it is great seeing a celebrity who doesn't dance learn a new skill (remember Brooke Burke). There is just something about this show that I can't stand.

Call me a dancing snob, but I like watching So You Think You Can Dance to see dancing. These people are skilled! You have Krumper performing Broadway ... a Contemporary dancer performing Hip Hop ... a Hip Hop dancer performing Bollywood ... a Salsa dancer performing the Quick Step. You get the idea. What is even better is that they are such good shape to begin with adding in breathtaking lifts, tumbles and moves is possible. The skill of these dancers has propelled them to professional stage shows, movies and even dancers on DWTS.

So, let's see who is going to make me rewind my DVR just so I can see their performance over again ...

REMINDER: This is just my personal, non-professional opinion made BEFORE the judges give their comments. Because Princess D doesn't go to bed until 9pm I often have to watch this show on DVR so I am behind all of you SYTYCD junkies, but and I don't alter what I write based on the judges comments.

Noelle & Russell (Hip Hop) I never thought tennis could be so hard core. I really did dig the concept. The choreography was complicated and intense. For me he can do no wrong. I love watching him dance. I thought she was holding her own in the beginning, but kind of lost it in a few parts. Overall I was really entertained!

Ashleigh & Jakob (Viennese Waltz) Gorgeous! Choreography was lovely. Dancing was flawless. Connection was there. Costumes were beautiful.

Victor & Bianca (Broadway) Perfect role for her! She is really impressing me with her dancing skills because originally I thought she was a one trick pony (tap dancing). I don't think the performance was perfect by her, but I was was impressed knowing what her training is. I thought he was good, but I expected more especially the height in his jumps. It was a fun routine, but not as good as I would have liked it to be.

Mollee & Nathan (Bollywood) I have to say out of the 3 Bollywood performances done on this show I like this one the best. It was choreographed with a story behind it not just a bunch of the craziest, fastest moves possible. The beginning was beautiful. He is an amazing dancer. She did great too, but I couldn't take my eyes off of him. They were in sync most of the time and that can't be easy with these dance moves. The leaps at the end were a bit off and lack luster for me, but the majority of the performance was so well done.

Phillip & Channing (Samba) One word ... HIPS? I wanted more. A lot more. It was not sultry enough for me. There was so much thinking happening on stage the letting themselves go into the dance was missing. It felt like dance by numbers where samba to me is fluid and rhythmic. Didn't love this one at all.

Kevin & Karen (Hip Hop) I really love Nappytabs choreography! He was great! I loved watching him perform in his style. She was HOT! I would have thought this was her style. I really enjoyed this performance ... but, damn some of those moves were not for kids' eyes! Yowza!

Kathryn & Legacy (Contemporary) They are my favorite couple. Both have taken me by surprise. I underestimated both of them. I have to say that the choreography was very strategic in using his normal style and showing off hers. He was a perfect partner throughout. He made the lifts look smooth and effortless. They stayed in character and had a great connection. It was an excellent performance!

Peter & Pauline (Contemporary) That was quirky and strange and fun! It is hard to critique their connection as new partners since they didn't dance so much together. They seemed in sync and they seemed to enjoy what they were doing, but I didn't connect with it much.

Eleanor & Ryan (Argentine Tango) Second favorite pair. This was HAWT! The length in their legs. The smooth movement and the intensity. The connection between the two of them. Even with her dress caught on her heels it was flawless. Seriously HAWT!