Friday, November 6, 2009

NaBloPoMo Day 6: The Tao of Pooh: Music & Living


My therapist has me reading The Tao of Pooh by Benjamin Hoff. It is a great read and I am learning a lot of great stuff from it. I thought I would share some of it with you. Let's start with the concept of:
In a similar manner, instead of struggling to erase what are referred to as negative emotions, we can learn to use them in positive ways. We could describe the principle like this: while pounding on the piano keys may produce noise, removing them doesn't exactly further the creation of music. The principles of Music and Living aren't all the different, we think.

The other day I heard this song while I was driving in the car. I hadn't heard it in quite some time, but the lyrics spoke straight to my heart. I reminded me how much my life has changed in the past year.

Alanis Morissette ~ Head Over Feet

I had no choice but to hear you / You stated your case time and again / I thought about it / You treat me like I'm a princess / I'm not used to liking that / You ask how my day was

I remember once being called a princess and I hated it. I am everything but.

I was living paycheck to paycheck with debts piling up. After 6 hours in the office I would pick up my daughter and go home to a messy house. I would cook dinner, do the dishes, give Princess D a bath and put her to bed. My evening hours were spent putting in 2 more hours of work until I could go to bed. I would average about 6 hours of sleep before I had to get up to get D ready for school and do it all over again.

I can’t remember ever having a meal brought to me in bed. I can’t remember ever getting to sleep in. I can’t remember feeling secure.

You've already won me over in spite of me / Don't be alarmed if I fall head over feet / And don't be surprised if I love you for all that you are / I couldn't help it / It's all your fault / Your love is thick and it swallowed me whole / You're so much braver than I gave you credit for / That's not lip service

I had felt invisible for years. I trusted so few people. You were the very last thing I expected to come into my life. I was so determined to close my heart off until I knew I was whole again. You never gave me doubt about your friendship, intentions, or generosity. You spent hours listening to me cry and scream. You told me your story to help me with mine. You have been through so much and I get my strength knowing that you made it through.

You are the bearer of unconditional things / You held your breath and the door for me / Thanks for your patience / You're the best listener that I've ever met / You're my best friend / Best friend with benefits / What took me so long

What we have seems impossible to so many people, but I wouldn’t change anything. I know this has happened for a reason. I know I never have to bottle up any of my feelings due to fear of your reaction. I know you will listen with open ears and an open heart to any of my problems. You respect my interests and encourage my creativity. You challenge the way I think and see the world.

I've never felt this healthy before / I've never wanted something rational / I am aware now / I am aware now

Happy birthday, honey!