Monday, December 14, 2009

Weekly Challenge #2: The Lunch Box


I can still see myself sitting at the yellowing picnic style lunch tables on the covered platform at my elementary school. As I unfold my brown paper lunch bag I feel myself envying my classmates metal lunch boxes decorated with Superman, Smurfs or Mickey Mouse. I know they are going to pull out a peanut butter and jelly on white bread sandwich and I pray my mom has packed the same thing instead of some strange Filipino dish that would make the other kids whisper and point.

The instant I open my brown paper lunch bag I can smell the bologna and cheese sandwich. I pull it out the sandwich bag and see that she has cut them into my favorite fun shapes ... a heart, a star and a silhouette of a little girl. I smile because my mom remembered that I simply wanted to fit in. Then I pull out a bag of sliced apples and a bag of carrot sticks. Finally, I pull out the one item I know she never forgets. The smell made my mouth water instantly. Then I could hear some of my classmate giggling and saying my nickname ...

Its at least 20-plus years later I open up my blue work branded lunch cooler my mom has packed for me. I pull out a turkey and cheese sandwich with the crust cut off, a bag of carrots and apples, and a dill pickle. As I bite into it I can faintly hear those giggling voices saying my nickname ...

Nickle Pickle!