Wednesday, July 28, 2010

SYTYCD Season 7 - Top 6


This was not the best So You think You Can Dance show of the season, but there were some stellar moments.

They just love playing Kent as the cub to Anya's cougar. I actually prefered his first Cha Cha to tonight's. His movements seem very smooth for me tonight. The first time he did the Cha Cha with Anya the clumsy "cub" act worked, but this one I expected him to be less clumsy and almost more cocky. Not sure about this one.

But, I totally LOVED the Broadway routine he performed with Jose. It was a great combination for me. Fabulous choreography and character. Fun and energetic. Jose's acrobatic ability was paired against Kent and I thought he did a good job, but Kent KILLED IT!

What happened to Jose's hip hop routine though? I wanted to see that whole rico sauve attitude he had in the Broadway routine in this one. This could have been such a fantastic throw back routine if he could have tapped into his inner swagger.

Lauren was phenomenal tonight! In her Broadway routine she has shed exactly what I didn't like about her earlier in the season. She is no longer the smiley dance team girl. She is performing, really performing! Letting herself get lost in the music, the character and the movement.

I don't like the fox trot, but I LOVED Lauren. She was gorgeous in this performance. Honestly, I didn't even notice AdéChiké. Lauren was just so beautiful that I couldn't take my eyes off her.

It was fun to see the jazz number, but AdéChiké was lacking something. I think in the ramble that Adam Shankman gave he said exactly what was wrong ... AdéChiké is so precise in his movements there was a fluidity that is missing. Yet, when he performs hip hop he is so much more relaxed. He needs to channel that into the other styles.

For the first time Robert totally connected with his partner for me. There was a pure masculinity in his performance tonight I haven't seen before from him. It was a great performance.

Didn't SYCTYC learn from the all dude vs. dude Paso Doble? What were they thinking doing it again with Bollywood? All I can say is at least the two strongest guy dancers, Robert and Billy, were selected to perform this physically challenging style. Theyput everything they had into the performance, but it still didn't work for me.

I am so happy to see Billy back and, even with a knee injury, stronger than before! What an amazing routine with so much emotion. He proved that he still belongs on the show and is a born dancer. His performance with Ade was THE performance of the night. I believe that it will be a judge favorite at the end of the season and an Emmy contender.

Ok, since two dancers will be going home this week, my prediction is Jose and AdéChiké. (That is if Lauren isn't injured after tonight's show ... sigh.)