Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Like Riding a Horse ... Not a Bike

I have a confession ... I don't know how to ride a bike.

Yes, you read that right. I simply never learned how to ride a bike when I was a kid. Shocked? Most people are. I had a red bike with training wheels, but my mom was always afraid that I would get hit by a car. So, I just wore my roller skates since most places I needed to get to were either really close by. My parents or friends never pushed me to learn, so I just didn't.

What my mom did want me to learn was to ride was a horse. Growing up she was terrified of horses and she didn't want me to have that same fear. She put me in lessons at a local stable when I was 12. It didn't last long because I was allergic to the horses, but I learned to love riding. The summer I lived in London I went on a 2 day horseback riding trip in Wales. I will never forget riding in the fields amongst sheep and the view of Abergavenny below.

Princess D has started to take an interest in riding horses. She has ridden on ponies at fairs, but she has never taken a lesson.

riding a pony


I was really excited to find out that on March 21 Liz Bolton Stables in San Marcos will be hosting an open house to view the facility, meet the trainers and staff, and meet the horses! Kids can help groom, pet and feed the horses. There will be arts and crafts, entertainment, refreshments and free trail loop horseback rides for the kids. You can bet Princess D will want to ride a horse ... and maybe I will get to as well!