Monday, October 12, 2009

Its too early!


A couple of weeks ago when I picked Princess D up from school I heard 4 words that made my heart skip a beat (and not in a good way) ...

"D kissed a boy!"

I didn't know how to respond. I just stood there blinking at the little girl who tattled on my daughter. Princess D looked up at me with her huge brown innocent eyes and said "Its because he is my best friend!"

I asked her why she kissed the boy while we were having dinner. Her response was so matter of fact, "Because he told me to." I heard the same words that came out of my mom's mouth when I was a kid coming out of mine, "Well, if he told you to jump off the roof would you?" I explained to her that kissing is not good because of sharing germs and that kissing on the lips is only for adults. She understood and hasn't done it again.

Then the other day when I picked her up from school she came skipping over to me and said 4 more words that took a year off my life ...

"He is my boyfriend!"

Once again she said it with such innocence I sort of found it more cute than totally disturbing. Then I saw the boy. Oh dear. Talk about a heart breaker. This is all starting way too early.

I remember when I was about her age a boy kissed me in class and I hit him with a plastic pork chop in response. The word "boyfriend" wasn't even in my vocabulary at her age! In order to keep my sanity I am going to go with the same hope that I had before ... maybe if she gets this out of her system now pre-teens won't be so bad.

If not, I am in a boatload of trouble.