Thursday, October 14, 2010

Baseline


In 1986 my aunt was diagnosed with breast cancer and in 1991 she lost her battle. She was only 51 years old. I turned thirty-something this year and considering my family history my primary care physician advised me to have a baseline mammogram taken.

Since October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month I knew it was time to face my fears. I don't really know which scared me more ... the screening process or the results. All of my previous breast exams found nothing odd, so I was pretty confident my scans would come back fine. But I have always been warned about how uncomfortable the mammogram is.

I endured 3 scans per breast. No matter how serene they hospital tried to make the room look the squashing and the pulling was beyond uncomfortable. What was even worse was the technician's freezing cold hands.

After 15 minutes my first mammogram was all done. The next day my scans were ready and showed that my breasts were healthy. I can rest easy for another year.

Baseline Mammogram


Go check out my post for the Saving Second Base eCookbook Project.