Sunday, June 21, 2009

Happy Father's Day Dad/Lolo!!!!!

If you read my Hero Challange post you know my dad is my biggest hero and the man I compare every other man to.

Growing up my dad was always working and for a few years he traveled quite a bit, so I spent the majority of my time with my mom. But, have some wonderful memories of times I spent with my dad, like him teaching me how to drive, buying my first (and last car), washing said car with him, teaching me how to fish, taking me skeet shooting, attending Tang Soo Do lessons, standing at the top of the Eiffel Tower, my sorority's Father/Daughter Day, and Grads & Dads breakfast the morning of my university graduation.

My Dad (top)


I inherited my dad's introverted personality. I am content at home alone working on projects, researching a new hobby, watching some TV or a movie, sitting on the patio drinking a glass of wine and watching the sunset.

I inherited my dad's organizational skills, but I am not nearly as extreme as he is. I remember coming home for the weekend from university and I would either help my mom fold laundry or borrow one of my dad's shirts. Then he would come home from work and go into his closet to change out of his suit and he would know immediately that I was home ... either because I disrupted his "organized-just-so" closet or because of my "just-so-folding".

I also inherited my dad's ability to internalize any anger or frustration which I have mentioned before. I remember the one and only time I pushed my dad far enough when I was in trouble that he blew up at me. It didn't make him less angry, but silence that followed right after was even more terrifying. (Note to anyone reading this: if I get mad at you let me silently fume then very calmly talk to me because neither the silence or the outburst of anger are good for you or me!) Silence really can be golden, but I have learned that communication is much better.

My Dad (bottom)


My dad is retired now and a man leisure. He golfs and gardens. He loves to travel and spend time with my mom. And, he is an amazing grandfather! He is patient with Princess D teaching her things and helping her get over her fears. He indulges her imagination role playing Sleeping Beauty and Frosty the Snowman. Princess D adores him and he adores her!

We are both so lucky to have him in our lives. We love you Dad/Lolo!

1 comment:

  1. I cant say enough how awesome your dad is. I may be partial because he pours a mean glass of wine but everything you say here is true. He, along with your mom, are wonderful people!

    ReplyDelete